[Dovecot] Can we know when a user read our email?

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Sun Jun 3 22:13:21 EEST 2012

Am 03.06.2012 19:26, schrieb Reindl Harald:

> Am 03.06.2012 19:21, schrieb Michael Orlitzky:

>>> what the hell , should the plugin do and how ?
>>> there is smtp dsn, nothing more makes sense
>>>
>>> looking to the thread subject , you need to have new internet standard
>>> called
>>>
>>> "braindump over tcp"
>>>
>>> this doesnt exist on exchange too
>>>
>>> mail is smtp, dovecot is no smtp server
>>>

>> You could trigger on the 'seen' flag, and Dovecot is more than capable
>> of generating messages, especially to mailboxes under its control (see:
>> sieve)
>
> and now tell us how you "connect" YOUR sent message over SMTP
> to any seen fleeg of another user?
>
>> But... who cares?
>
> people which cares about reality?
>
>> The worst possible thing that can happen is that he
>> writes it and makes his customers happy
>
> if it is his business make people happy with lies, ok
> my business is make people happy by telling them the truth

the maximun with multi clients which "may" be goaled is a notice , if a
mail was/has seen-flagged-opened/downloaded ( pop3), as long as sender
and recipient are on the same server/storage/system

but seen-opened-flagged a mail is not "read the mail by the adressed
human recipient"
and human read a mail means not understand the content of the mail

nobody grant ever that is was the adressed recipient human in person
that opened the mail and did set the seen flag

"seen-flagged" means opened for display as/from a tec process !!!

by the way this differnce seems not to care by customers who want this
feature or may think its included elsewhere

i would recommand Mind melds over the wire like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_%28Star_Trek%29#Mind_melds

as an ultimate solution for this problem *g
--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria