[Dovecot] Integrating Dovecot with Amazon Web Services

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jun 28 20:21:31 EEST 2012

On 28.6.2012, at 20.14, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>> "An upshot of the way alternate storage works is that any given storage
>> file (mailboxes/<folder>/dbox-Mails/u.* (sdbox) or storage/m.* (mdbox)) can
>> only appear *either* in the primary storage area *or* the alternate storage
>> area but not both — if the corresponding file appears in both areas then
>> there is an inconsistency."
>
> Whoever wrote that wasn't exactly correct (or clear). There's no problem having the same file in both primary and alt storage. Only if the files are different there's a problem, but that shouldn't happen..

Hmm. Although looking at the mdbox index rebuilding code:

		/* duplicate file. either readdir() returned it twice
		   (unlikely) or it exists in both alt and primary storage.
		   to make sure we don't lose any mails from either of the
		   files, give this file a new ID and rename it. */

It probably shouldn't be doing that. sdbox isn't doing that:

		/* we were supposed to open the file in alt storage, but it
		   exists in primary storage as well. skip it to avoid adding
		   it twice. */