[Dovecot] Integrating Dovecot with Amazon Web Services

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jun 28 20:38:17 EEST 2012

On 28.6.2012, at 20.21, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 28.6.2012, at 20.14, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>>> "An upshot of the way alternate storage works is that any given storage
>>> file (mailboxes/<folder>/dbox-Mails/u.* (sdbox) or storage/m.* (mdbox)) can
>>> only appear *either* in the primary storage area *or* the alternate storage
>>> area but not both — if the corresponding file appears in both areas then
>>> there is an inconsistency."
>>
>> Whoever wrote that wasn't exactly correct (or clear). There's no problem having the same file in both primary and alt storage. Only if the files are different there's a problem, but that shouldn't happen..
>
> Hmm. Although looking at the mdbox index rebuilding code:
>
> 		/* duplicate file. either readdir() returned it twice
> 		   (unlikely) or it exists in both alt and primary storage.
> 		   to make sure we don't lose any mails from either of the
> 		   files, give this file a new ID and rename it. */
>
> It probably shouldn't be doing that.

Hmm. I already implemented this by having it ignore the problem if the files have the same sizes, but then started wondering if there's really any point in doing that. m.* files can be appended to later, and altmoving always creates files with new numbers, and even if it does renaming there's duplicate suppression, so .. I guess there wasn't any point in doing that after all.