[Dovecot] configure lmtp to deliver to email addresses case insensitively

Tue Dec 17 17:55:11 EET 2013

On 2013-12-17 2:39 AM, Andreas Schulze <andreas.schulze at datev.de> wrote:
> Am 16.12.2013 15:25 schrieb Charles Marcus:
>> >auth_username_format = %Lu"
>> >This really should be the default...
> I disagree. That solve a symptom, not the problem.
>
> As of rfc3522 a localpart*may*  be used case sensitive or not.
> I suggest a switch "my_local_parts_are_casesensitive = yes/no"
> or "my_local_parts_are_caseINsensitive = no/yes"
> The name and default must be well selected and not break existing behaviour.
>
> I think that's more transparent then changing an mostly unvisible setting.

Your system, your rules, however...

Just because you *can* do something doesn't mean you *should* do it -
and just because something is RFC compliant doesn't mean you should
always implement it that way.

There are very few compelling arguments for supporting identical
usernames differing only by case. One is some kind of legacy (unix)
environment where you already have a lot of these... but I can't readily
think of another (good one)...

--

Best regards,

*/Charles/*