[Dovecot] configure lmtp to deliver to email addresses case insensitively

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Dec 17 18:02:51 EET 2013

Am 17.12.2013 16:55, schrieb Charles Marcus:
>> I disagree. That solve a symptom, not the problem.
>>
>> As of rfc3522 a localpart*may*  be used case sensitive or not.
>> I suggest a switch "my_local_parts_are_casesensitive = yes/no"
>> or "my_local_parts_are_caseINsensitive = no/yes"
>> The name and default must be well selected and not break existing behaviour.
>>
>> I think that's more transparent then changing an mostly unvisible setting.
>
> Your system, your rules, however...
>
> Just because you *can* do something doesn't mean you *should* do it - and just because something is RFC compliant
> doesn't mean you should always implement it that way.
>
> There are very few compelling arguments for supporting identical usernames differing only by case. One is some kind
> of legacy (unix) environment where you already have a lot of these... but I can't readily think of another (good
> one)...

in fact it does always harm because users

there are enough writing their address uppercase while the server was never configured
that way, there are enough writing FirstnameLastname at domain.tld and you can hardly
find a normal person who accepts that writing a message to "YOU at domain.tld" goes
to a different person than "you at domain.tld" or bounce in one of the cases