[Dovecot] Horde + dovecot metadata support

Andreas Schulze andreas.schulze at datev.de
Thu Dec 19 12:23:10 EET 2013

Hello,

Horde (http://horde.org) has the ability to store its preferences direct into a users imap mailbox
using imap metadata extension.  There are two implementations of the imap extension.
 1. a dovecot plugin: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-metadata-plugin
 2. dovecot itself: http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2013-November/093243.html

I setup Horde and dovecot-2.2.5 to use this extension and it works well using 1.)
Now, with dovecot-2.2.9, the plugin fail to compile (unrelated problem on my side).
So I tried 2.) But here I get a Horde-Error "Error in IMAP command GETMETADATA: Invalid arguments."

I enables mail_debug but saw no helpfull logging.

  mail_attribute_dict = file:/tmp/%Lu/dovecot-attributes
  remote horde.testserver.ip/32 {
    imap_metadata = yes
    mail_debug = yes
  }
Also I created directory /tmp/$my_login_id (mode 777) but dovecot also created no files.
neither it logs anything about it.

This is a sample imap session generated by horde:
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready.
1 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN ***
1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS SPECIAL-USE BINARY MOVE METADATA QUOTA] Logged in
2 NAMESPACE
* NAMESPACE (("" ".")) NIL NIL
2 OK Namespace completed.
3 LIST () "" (*)
* LIST () "." INBOX
3 OK List completed.
4 GETMETADATA "*" (/shared/vendor/kolab/folder-type)
4 BAD Error in IMAP command GETMETADATA: Invalid arguments.
5 LOGOUT
* BYE Logging out
5 OK Logout completed.

Are there any hints or is the metadata extension just not fully implemented in dovecot?

Thanks,
Andreas

--
Andreas Schulze
Internetdienste | P252

DATEV eG
90329 Nürnberg | Telefon +49 911 319-0 | Telefax +49 911 319-3196
E-Mail info @datev.de | Internet www.datev.de
Sitz: 90429 Nürnberg, Paumgartnerstr. 6-14 | Registergericht Nürnberg, GenReg Nr.70
Vorstand
Prof. Dieter Kempf (Vorsitzender)
Dipl.-Kfm. Wolfgang Stegmann (stellvertretender Vorsitzender)
Dipl.-Kfm. Michael Leistenschneider
Dipl.-Kfm. Dr. Robert Mayr
Jörg Rabe v. Pappenheim
Dipl.-Vw. Eckhard Schwarzer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Reinhard Verholen