[Dovecot] pop3 rate limit

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Mon Dec 30 10:03:43 EET 2013

Am 28.12.2013 14:05, schrieb Christian Rößner:
> Hi,
>
> we have customers with Exchange servers that are polling for new
> mail every minute with dozens of pop3 accounts. I am looking for a
> mechanism to rate limit this per user. So what I am looking for is
> a way to block users from polling, if a user asks for new mail more
> than every 5 minutes (for example).
>
> Is this possible? Can this be achieved within Dovecot or does it
> need external scripting? (I thought about fail2ban, but also want
> IPv6 support)

Hi Christian, i have about 1000 pop3 logins per minute, with little
tuning dovecot has no problem with it

but however you may use iptables recent, but for sure its not optimal
cause of nat

and/or grep login timestamps syslog and echo in deny list

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/RestrictAccess

perhaps fail2ban can be configured to do equal actions

> Thanks in advance
>
> -Christian Rößner
>
> -- [*] sys4 AG
>
> http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64 Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669
> München
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: München, Amtsgericht München: HRB 199263
> Vorstand: Patrick Ben Koetter, Axel von der Ohe, Marc Schiffbauer
> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Florian Kirstein

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

- --