ot: data consumption IMAP vs POP

Håkon Alstadheim hakon at alstadheim.priv.no
Wed Jan 27 09:31:46 UTC 2016

Den 27. jan. 2016 07:30, skrev Steffen Kaiser:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2016, voytek at sbt.net.au wrote:
>
> > I have a domain with about 50 mailboxes, server is located here in
> AUS but
> > most of the users are on a LAN is SEAsia location. They were using POP
> > (with Thunderbird), I suggested then can use IMAP instead, so they did.
>
> > now they are asking;
>
> > "Looks like Imap is adding a lot to our internet bandwidth"
>
> > I guess they have some bandwidth limitation on their link
>
> which limit(s)?
>
> > I think I can understand that IMAP would increase bandwidth requirement,
> > didn't expect it to cause 'problems'
>
> > is there any optimization or changes I can make to reduce that ?
> > the b/w limitation are at the client LAN link
>
> > any other suggestions ?
>
> Do they have problems more while sending or more while reading or more
> when doing "flagging, moving, deleting"?
>
> Sending bandwitdh can be reduced by using BCC instead of the IMAP
> append to the sent mailbox.
> Reading bandwidth should not change, unless they watch really many
> mailboxes.
>
> -- Steffen Kaiser
... but of course re-configuring mail-client will cause all mail that is
still on the server to be re-down-loaded. Did you specifically ask if
bandwidth problems persisted after the first connections ? Might take
quite a while if there is a lot of mail. Might be "on demand" when
entering a mail-box for the first time. If mail comes pre-sorted into
mail-boxes, watching several mail-boxes for new mail might be a
long-term "pessimization" (opposite of optimization) .