Using dovecot with RoundCubeMail - where is the information for new mail in (blue coloured) directories?

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Sun Dec 20 13:05:41 EET 2020

Peter,

On 2020-12-20 19:33, Peter wrote:
> Am 19.12.20 um 15:53 schrieb David Morsberger:
>> Phil,
>>
>> I looked around and this is deep in the Roundcube service side code.
>> It is detecting a new message in a folder since the last time you
>> viewed the contents of the folder.
>>
>> I see has the folder list items are changed through css and how the
>> server side code is receiving the request to check for recent. It get
>> complicated after that. I cannot determine if it is keep state in
>> roundcube or making a call to the IMAP provider. I am leaning to
>> roundcube state.
>
> The server would be hard pressed: Several users may idle in the same
> mailbox. If a message is new, then for whom exactly?
>
> Thunderbird has a css selector to match "newMessages" too: It can be
> used from userChrome.css to highlight folders, where there are
> messages, that have not been there, when the folder was last opened.

It is not even "last opened" - the blue highlighting disappears with
time (not sure how long) - even if the folder is not touched - and it
certainly disappears if RCM is closed and opened again . .

> It wont ever match the folder that is currently opened.

Not sure what you mean by that?

> This propertry
> is pure client side state by definition.

I guess that is what it seems to look like to me as well - but what does
that mean for what I am trying to do? - ie reset the blue folder
highlight arbitrarily?

Thanks,

Phil.

--