SV: Outlook vs Thunderbird

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Jul 7 19:28:54 EEST 2020

Am 07.07.2020 um 18:11 schrieb Sebastian Nielsen:
> Plaintext access is no problem if the connection is secured via other means - for example internal network or VPN.
> If the IMAP server cannot be accessed from the outside, and the traffic don't travel over wifi or public networks, no danger.

First of all, please keep answers on the mailing list only. Obviously I
am subscribe and I don't need to get your reply twice, by list
distribution and in addition to my personal address.

And top-posting is another thing you should avoid.

To your answer: I disagree and see that you have a false understanding
of security. You want service protocol encryption (here for IMAP or
POP3) from end to end. Nothing which breaks up encryption in between.

That's valid for any size of environment. You may judge the risk is
tolerable in case you run you own small setup where you are the only
user. But I replied to Mark's note where he wrote about ~100 clients. So
he either running an IMAP service for clients - where it is
inresponsible to not teach them about security and instead lower the
protection to none - or administering a company network for which end to
end service encryption is a must too.

Alexander