Ms Exchange vs dovecot

Guido Goluke, MajorLabel info at majorlabel.nl
Fri Jul 10 15:44:08 EEST 2020

I'm in the process of implementing Z-Push: a PHP-written layer that sits
between your client and backends and offers activesync, since clients
that belong to multinationals that offer propietary stuff (MS, Google)
try to steer you around protocols like CardDAV, CalDAV and IMAP since
their protocols are 'pushier' (while in reality the only 'push' they
provide is in the direction of their products).

The only thing they *do* properly support is activesync. Z-Push lets you
connect to Dovecot for IMAP/mail and to for instance nextcloud for
CardDAV and CalDAV while offering *all* those protocols to clients,
which means that Thunderbird, Outlook, Gmail and Apple devices all can
get their optimal experience.

There are some issues regarding the IMAP flag synchronization which I'm
working on (https://jira.z-hub.io/browse/ZP-1561). I also have some
notes on implementing a multi-domain setup
(https://forum.kopano.io/topic/3265/multiple-z-push-instances-on-one-server/6)

Regards,

Guido Goluke