Client shows incorrect message counts

Antonio Leding tech at leding.net
Tue Jul 28 22:35:50 EEST 2020

Hello all…

First, a disclaimer…I am aware that this is very likely not a Dovecot related issue but I am truly pulling whatever hair I have left out of my head and given the brain-power of this mailer, I thought someone might know what is going in here.

The issues is this…

I check the message counts for a given account using doveadm and get a given number.  I then configure the same account in 3 mail clients: Apple Mail, Mailmate, and Thunderbird.  Both the Mailmate and Thunderbird message counts match exactly with the doveadm numbers.  Apple Mail is low in almost all cases.

I have tried every idea I have found including:

— Delete and recreate the mail account
— Rebuild mailbox
— Resync mailbox
— Reindex Spotlight
— Removing the "~/Library/Mail/V*/Envelope*” files; restart Mail
— Remove the entire "~/Library/Mail/V*” directory; restart Mail

So, at wit’s end and again, apologies for this not being a Dovecot-centric issue but I know you are all on top of this stuff and may have an idea…

Thanks in advance...