Delivering locally through the Submission Server

John Fawcett john at voipsupport.it
Mon Nov 2 23:29:28 EET 2020

On 02/11/2020 21:33, R. Diez wrote:

>> what should it do with the non local messages or local messages directly
>> at aliases?
>
> OK, so I gather that the Submission Server cannot do that (yet).
>
> My suggestion for a future version would then be: How about running
> dovecot-lda, if the user happens to be local, or a local alias? Or at
> least provide some sort of pattern matching: anything matching
> *@example.com , pass the message to dovecot-lda .
>
> It feels strange that a plug-in accessing the local user database for
> authentication purposes, and running on the same Dovecot server
> instance, needs to use an MTA to deliver a local message, it is like
> going out to come back in again. But I do not know much about mail
> servers yet. Have I missed some important concept here that makes this
> idea silly indeed?
>
> Regards,
>   rdiez

sending email only to only local users seems like a really specific and
limited use case. MTAs can handle both this use case and the more
general one. Besides how would you differentiate between real local
users and aliases? If you were to implement  sending anything matching
*@example.com to dovecot-lda what would happen if the destination was an
alias and not a real user? Which real user should the email be delivered to?

John