dovecot fts-solr + solr 8.7.0 upgrade: "Indexing failed: 401 Unauthorized" + "Transaction commit failed: FTS transaction commit failed: backend deinit" ?

John Fawcett john at voipsupport.it
Fri Nov 13 19:46:18 EET 2020

On 13/11/2020 14:56, PGNet Dev wrote:
> I've built a new dovecot + fts-solr instance; I've now picked up & am
> running the recently released solr 8.7.0.
>
> In a test account, I've one message -- in the 'Drafts' folder.
>
> On exec of fts 'index'
>
>     doveadm index -u testuser at example.com -q '*'
>
> I get a
>
>     401 unauthorized
>
> indexing failure, only for the one dir+message in 'Drafts',
>
>     2020-11-13 05:43:21
> indexer-worker(testuser at example.com)<8MKVNHmNrl/DJgEA+IOfAw>: Info:
> Indexed 0 messages in Queue
>     2020-11-13 05:43:21
> indexer-worker(testuser at example.com)<OHfzNHmNrl/DJgEA+IOfAw>: Info:
> Indexed 0 messages in testing
>     2020-11-13 05:43:21
> indexer-worker(testuser at example.com)<yMxJNXmNrl/DJgEA+IOfAw>: Info:
> Indexed 0 messages in Junk
>     2020-11-13 05:43:21
> indexer-worker(testuser at example.com)<uDCbNXmNrl/DJgEA+IOfAw>: Info:
> Indexed 0 messages in Trash
>     2020-11-13 05:43:21
> indexer-worker(testuser at example.com)<kA/uNXmNrl/DJgEA+IOfAw>: Info:
> Indexed 0 messages in Sent
>     2020-11-13 05:43:22
> indexer-worker(testuser at example.com)<cEw/NnmNrl/DJgEA+IOfAw>: Error:
> fts_solr: Indexing failed: 401 Unauthorized
>     2020-11-13 05:43:22
> indexer-worker(testuser at example.com)<cEw/NnmNrl/DJgEA+IOfAw>: Error:
> fts_solr: Indexing failed: 401 Unauthorized
>     2020-11-13 05:43:22
> indexer-worker(testuser at example.com)<cEw/NnmNrl/DJgEA+IOfAw>: Error:
> Mailbox Drafts: Transaction commit failed: FTS transaction commit
> failed: backend deinit (attempted to index 1 messages (UIDs 3..3))
>     2020-11-13 05:43:22
> indexer-worker(testuser at example.com)<2OUMCHqNrl/DJgEA+IOfAw>: Info:
> Indexed 0 messages in INBOX
>
> I get NO output atm in my solr logs @ this 'index'; just, atm, in the
> dovecot logs, above
>
> I've checked all my usual perms.
> Indexing _was_ working with a prior solr v8.6.3 ...
>
> Either I've misconfigured some perm, and am missing it, or
> new-solr-version v8.7.0 is causing me some grief.
>
> (1) Can anyone yet verify Doveoct/fts-solr working with solr 8.7.x?
> (2) What logging config in Dovecot gets me more/detailed output for
> the fts_solr fail?
> (3) Any obvious clues as to what, specifically, is the source of this
> prob?

(1) I can't, I'm still on an earlier version

(2) see here: https://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS/Solr

two useful settings are debug and rawlog_dir=whatever to be added in the
same line as fts_solr

(3) strange you don't see anything on the solr server. Something is
giving a 401 response so if it's not solr what is it? Are you now using
apache in front of solr? One obvious thing to check is the url= part of
your fts_solr setting including the credentials and the solr core name.
You may also want to test your solr installation from the command line.
For example this does a manual soft commit:

curl
https://user:password@solr.example.com:443/solr/dovecot/update?softCommit=true
<https://user:password@solr.example.com:443/solr/dovecot/update?softCommit=true>

If your solr server is correctly configured you should get back
something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>

<lst name="responseHeader">