dovecot fts-solr + solr 8.7.0 upgrade: "Indexing failed: 401 Unauthorized" + "Transaction commit failed: FTS transaction commit failed: backend deinit" ?

PGNet Dev pgnet.dev at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 19:56:47 EET 2020

On 11/13/20 9:46 AM, John Fawcett wrote:
>> (1) Can anyone yet verify Doveoct/fts-solr working with solr 8.7.x?>> (2) What logging config in Dovecot gets me more/detailed output for the fts_solr fail?
>> (3) Any obvious clues as to what, specifically, is the source of this prob?
>>
> (1) I can't, I'm still on an earlier version

I'll look for the 8.6.3, rather than 'current' (8.7.0) bins, spin up an instance, and do some dubl-checking

> (2) see here: https://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS/Solr
>
> two useful settings are debug and rawlog_dir=whatever to be added in the same line as fts_solr

ah, thx!

> (3) strange you don't see anything on the solr server. Something is giving a 401 response so if it's not solr what is it?

head-scratcher, atm.  the logging^ should help.

> Are you now using apache in front of solr?

nope.  direct to solr.

> One obvious thing to check is the url= part of your fts_solr setting including the credentials and the solr core name.
sure.

hasn't changed from prior working config.

admin UI is accessible/responsive.

i _can_ exec some solr commands without any error, e.g.

	sudo -u solr /srv/webapps/solr/solr/bin/solr create -c dovecot

	sudo -u solr /srv/webapps/solr/solr/bin/solr config \
	-c dovecot \
	-p 8984 \
	-action set-user-property \
	-property update.autoCreateFields \
	-value false

are fine.  it's the indexing that's not ...

> You may also want to test your solr installation from the command line. For example this does a manual soft commit:
> > curl https://user:password@solr.example.com:443/solr/dovecot/update?softCommit=true <https://user:password@solr.example.com:443/solr/dovecot/update?softCommit=true>

> If your solr server is correctly configured you should get back something like this:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <response>
>
> <lst name="responseHeader">
>    <int name="status">0</int>