debugging TLS with wireshark and a custom application ?

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 03:03:16 EEST 2020

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

> My question is: can dovecot be used to debug/decrypt TLS sessions ?
>
> The reason I'm asking:
>
> A custom application wants to speak IMAP with TLS with a dovecot
> instance.

If it's happening during the handshake (i.e. IMAP/POP hasn't even started)
you can try debugging the interaction by using "openssl s_server" on
an alternate port with the same SSL parameters used by your dovecot.
It's not the full-fledged environment you're trying to test but may
expose the problem.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>