Version controlled (git) Maildir generated by Dovecot

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Wed Oct 7 16:32:40 EEST 2020

Am 07.10.20 um 13:20 schrieb Adam:
> Thank you Vitalii.
>
> Could you please tell me / do you know if those dovecot* files have to be also backed / archived?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Adam
>
>> ---------- Původní e-mail ----------
>> Od: Vitalii <vnagara at yandex.com>
>> Komu: Adam <adam.ranek at seznam.cz>
>> Datum: 7. 10. 2020 12:04:11
>> Předmět: Re: Version controlled (git) Maildir generated by Dovecot
>> My 5 cents:
>> Git is REVISION control, It make sense to use it if files are modified.
>> Email is static files so it's better to use any backup system with
>> archiving capabilities (gzip or similar). It provide ability to copy
>> partially or just some old years to another HDD that is not possible
>> with git.
>> Also you can archive by dsync to that new server with account on mdbox
>> account with gzip compression. That will save space and gives you full
>> access to all email.
>>
>> P.S. there are many options to choose. I use borg to backup
>> everything, including email and mdbox format with separate folder for
>> attachments that deduplicate attachments on backups and in filesystem.

Hi, with maildir you can just use rsync
for pure backup

for archive i.e

something like

https://blog.sys4.de/mailarchiv-mit-dovecot-und-postfix-sortiert-nach-datum-mailadressen-und-ein-ausgehend-unterordnern-de.html

but there are many ways to goal this

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG, 80333 München