Providers running dovecot?

Piotr Auksztulewicz dcml at hasiok.net
Fri Oct 9 12:22:53 EEST 2020

On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 10:15:10AM +0200, Olivier Cailloux wrote:
> The real, “final” question I am interested in is, but which might be
> slightly off-topic on this list (the reason I asked the other
> question), is to find providers that satisfy these two conditions:
> a) offer free e-mail accounts
> b) implement correctly the IMAP SEARCH feature of RFC 3501.

IMO this is the right question to ask, even here.

> That is because my client uses the IMAP SEARCH feature, and it is
> usually implemented incorrectly (e.g. in GMail or MS Exchange).

Probably it would be more informative to describe which features you
need that are implemented "incorrectly".

Reality check: RFCs are not government-enforced standards. There are many
sensible RFCs that never got implemented widely, or nearly at all, are
implemented partially, or there are widely deployed not-fully-compliant
software systems. If your client software requires a feature that's not
widely available, you're just limiting your audience.

You may try to find a different way to achieve your goal using the
features that are widely implemented. Real, successful software packages
very often contain options to do some quirks in order to stay interoperable
with existing noncompliant implementations.

Piotr "Malgond" Auksztulewicz                     firstname at lastname.net