Providers running dovecot?

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Sun Oct 11 15:23:31 EEST 2020

> On 10 Oct 2020, at 08:35, Olivier Cailloux <olivier.cailloux at dauphine.fr> wrote:
>
> Le samedi 10 octobre 2020 à 03:31 -0600, @lbutlr a écrit :
>> On 09 Oct 2020, at 02:15, Olivier Cailloux <
>> olivier.cailloux at dauphine.fr
>>> wrote:
>>> My question is really: are there providers out there that satisfy
>>> these
>>> two conditions:
>>> a) offer free e-mail accounts (similar to Yahoo, GMail, and so on)
>>
>> Doubtful, and if so I don't know any.
>>
>>> b) implement correctly the IMAP SEARCH feature of RFC 3501.
>>
>> I believe this is achievable via Roundcube and some plugins
>> (managesieve come to mind). Possibly Horde also supports sieve via
>> plugins.
>>
>> Setting up either webmail client is pretty trivial.
>
> Thank you for your reply. But I am not sure that we are on the same
> page here. I do not see how I can set this up so as to provide users of
> my software with such a functionality. The software I develop is a
> client software. I do not want to run a server and provide a service. I
> want to provide a client software that uses the e-mail service of
> existing providers.

OK, then I am not sure it is possible. Some providers support limited SIEVE features, but the only ones I have seen support it only though editing rules via a web interface that only allows a very small subset of what sieve can do. Without coordinating with those providers, it's unlikely you will be able to get anything to work.

Isn't the whole point of sieve that it is server-side filtering and rules? So you need to be able to write the sieve files to the appropriate location which, unless someone is truly mad, is going to be outside the IMAP store where a client cannot simply write a sieve file.

--
"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always movin', and
	if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance."