Changing IMAP separator - does it break things?

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Wed Oct 14 05:36:07 EEST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

I am using Dovecot 2.3.4.1 with maildirs. Just found out that MacOS Mail
clients cannot work with nested folders, presumably because the MacOS
Mail does not understand "." as the IMAP separator.

Other clients (ThunderBird, Sylpheed, mutt) work fine.

Do you think I can change the hierarchy separator in the "inbox"
namespace without breaking other clients and the mail layout on disk,
losing mail etc?

I don't want to break mail for 50 people just to please one Mac Mail
user. The users are advanced developers actively using mail sorting
rules, nested folders etc.

My `doveconf -n` is here: https://termbin.com/w1wd

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN