Problem reading SSL key

John Fawcett john at voipsupport.it
Sun Oct 18 00:01:30 EEST 2020

On 17/10/2020 19:13, Tech Support wrote:

> All;
>
>     I’m trying to setup dovecot to use SSL, but I’m getting an error
> message in the logs. I’m getting the error imap-login: Fatal: Couldn't
> parse private ssl_key. I’m using a commercial cert so I know that the
> .crt and .key files themselves are not the problem. I have them
> configured like so:
>

> ssl_cert = </etc/pki/tls/certs/mail_acmewidgets_net.crt
>
> ssl_key = </etc/pki/tls/private/mail_acmewidgets_net.key
>

> The crt is mode 444 and the key is mode 400.
>

> Since the log is not giving any other information, I don’t know what
> the problem is. Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks;
>
> Frank

Frank

it might help having the full error message that was in the log
including any error code.

Despite your certainty of the private key file, that's where I would
suggest looking. Is your key file in PEM format? Does it have a password?

You can use this command (without posting the output) to check an rsa kkey:

openssl rsa -in /etc/pki/tls/private/mail_acmewidgets_net.key -check

You should get somethings like:

RSA key ok
writing RSA key
-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----