Using NFS to extend local email storage

Sven Hartge sven at svenhartge.de
Sun Oct 18 21:06:59 EEST 2020

On 18.10.20 19:50, Maciej Kokociński wrote:

> Now, my idea is to set up an NFS volume on the NAS, and configure the
> cloud-based server as the client. I would like to store only the most
> recent emails on the main server, and keep the whole data set on the NAS.

Doing NFS over the Internet is such a bad idea. Don't do it.

Also don't do NFS over a WAN link inside a VPN. The latency will kill you.

In addition to that, the flakiness of the on-prem NAS will hard-lock any
process accessing or trying to access anything on the NFS share during
times where it is not available.

This setup would severely degrade not only the performance but also the
availability of your mails.

Do not do this.

In your case I only see the option to either deal with the increased
costs, move to a different ISP which is cheaper or move to a hosted mail
solution, which may also be cheaper.

But jerry-rigging an NFS share on a flaky box over a WAN link is such a
bad idea. Please, reconsider.

Grüße,
Sven.