How to move/reorganise existing e-mails to yearly subfolders

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Tue Oct 20 17:02:52 EEST 2020

Am 20.10.20 um 12:15 schrieb R. Diez:

> First of all, thanks for your answer.
>
>> What is the problem with having huge online mailboxes? Just choose a >
>> good european provider that has encryption all the way through to
>> their> storage platform.
>
> We already have a European ISP with a standard e-mail server. I wanted
> to keep our own mail server on premises, so that it is not exposed on
> the Internet. The current server fetches (and removes) all e-mails from
> the ISP. That has many advantages, for example, internal e-mail still
> works in case of an Internet outage.
>
> If I wanted to change the setup, I would have to start evaluating such
> an "encryption all the way through to their storage platform" feature. I
> am not sure that it is worth the effort. In any case, that sounds like a
> limiting factor when choosing another ISP, in case the current one
> starts making trouble.
>

>> I had exactly the same idea about migrating. You have to think twice >
>> about moving emails around of users. They do not like it ;)
>  > [...]
>
> I don't really want to do that, that's why I wrote "If I set a mailbox
> size limit, users will have to delete old mails by themselves".
>
> I do not know much about the legal aspects, but in case we need to keep
> all e-mails for legal data retention requirements, I would like to store
> those e-mails separately, so that if a user deletes it, the original
> e-mail is still archived somewhere else.
>
> That is why I mentioned the Postfix's BCC feature. The idea is that you
> have a separate mailbox where a separate copy of all e-mails to and from
> all users land. That is the separate mailbox where I wanted to
> reorganise e-mails by date, in order to archive the e-mails in smaller
> chunks on a yearly basis. Those e-mails do not need to be online after
> all. Chances are, they will never be needed anyway.
>

>> I have created an 'archive' environment on a distributed filesystem,
>> and it
>> takes me quite a lot of persuading to have people (or allow me) to move
>> messages from common Sent and Inbox mailboxes to the Archive namespace
>  > [...]
>
> I am actually a newbie in mail service matters, but my guess is that
> there is no amount of persuasion that could possibly help. You have to
> set a hard limit per mailbox and let the users deal with it, don't you?
> Otherwise, sooner or later the server will overload. Or I would need to
> become a full-time e-mail server admin, which is not an option either!
>
> I am actually a friend of having 2 backup disks that rotate, where one
> is always physically off premises, and offline. But I wonder how I could
> keep the backups encrypted and synchronised with 2 rotating disks. Maybe
> Veracrypt + rsync.
>
> I am hoping that the amount of big attachments in all incoming and
> outgoing mail still fits in normal external USB 3.0 disks. Or at least a
> few years' worth of it per disk. But I still would not want to have say
> [...]

why not use archive solution
like

https://blog.sys4.de/mailarchiv-mit-dovecot-und-postfix-sortiert-nach-datum-mailadressen-und-ein-ausgehend-unterordnern-de.html

sort with sieve, its not exact what you search but should be enough to
go on, you might consider a double fetch with i.e getmail

https://blog.sys4.de/abholdienst-fur-mail-de.html

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG, 80333 München