Error: Mailbox INBOX: Transaction commit failed: FTS transaction commit failed: transaction context

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Thu Oct 22 13:27:57 EEST 2020

Hi all,

While trying to reindex a large mailbox to take advantage of Apache Tika, dovecot logs the following message:

Error: Mailbox INBOX: Transaction commit failed: FTS transaction commit failed: transaction context

The message is vague in that a transaction has failed, but nowhere does it say what the transaction boundaries are.

Did the transaction affect the indexing of one message, or many messages?

Did the indexing of the whole mailbox get aborted and rolled back, or just a single message?

A wide question. How do I ensure that my shiny new dovecot index gets completely reindexed? How do I know if dovecot is indexing just the new messages, and ignoring the existing messages?

Regards,
Graham
—