net_connect_unix(/var/run/dovecot/stats-writer) failed: Permission denied

Richard Hector richard at walnut.gen.nz
Sat Oct 24 05:40:56 EEST 2020

Hi, I'm seeing the same, but I think it's every time the lda is called
to deliver mail to a mailbox. Postfix runs it as vmail:vmail.

My socket is owned by root:dovecot (on Debian buster).

Should I add vmail to the dovecot group to enable it to write? Or is
changing the socket to 0666 safer?

I'm also a little confused, because according to
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/stats/ no statistics are
logged by default, and I have no mentions of 'metric' anywhere in my
config, so why is the write even attempted? (dovecot 2.3.4)

Cheers,
Richard