Looking for a guide to collect all e-mail from the ISP mail server

Mihai Badici mihai at badici.ro
Mon Oct 26 16:27:14 EET 2020

On 10/26/20 4:16 PM, R. Diez wrote:

>> Why don't you configure all stuff internally and ask your provider to
>> relay
>> the e-mails from and to you via "smart relay"?  You will communicate
>> only via smtp and only with your provider,
> > [...]
>
> When you are a small business or a volunteer-run club or charity, you
> don't ask your provider. You have no leverage. You may not even be
> able to change provider so easily.
>
> Besides, the way you suggest means opening a SMTP port to the outside
> world. A security risk and more work at the firewall etc.
>
> From what I gathered to date, there should be nothing wrong with
> collecting e-mails from a catch-all/multidrop POP3/IMAP4 mailbox, so I
> will carry on pursuing this method.
>
> Regards,
>   rdiez

You will open the smtp port only to your provider.  The provider will
receive mails for your domain and will send your mails for outside
world. He can relay  them to you on an arbitrary port you can open only
for that server.  You may have right you can't ask him this kind of
setup but if they already run an e-mail server ( and most of them
actually do that) it is not such a big effort to add two lines in their
server config, it cost nothing to  ask :) That will allow you to run a
complete mail suite almost as in the "real world".