Looking for a guide to collect all e-mail from the ISP mail server

Gregory Heytings ghe at sdf.org
Mon Oct 26 17:24:18 EET 2020

> First of all, I want to learn how to do it, just for fun.

Okay, that was not what you initially said.  Some comments below,
nonetheless.

> I will not recommend Google. Ever heard of data protection and data
> confidentiality?

Your data is stored confidentially by Google, obviously.  Otherwise nobody
would use their services.

> And then you are completely dependent. Your are nothing for a huge
> company like Google. If they lose your complete e-mail database, they
> will tell you that they are awfully sorry. If at all.

The likelihood that Google loses your email is far less than the
likelihood that your server has a disk failure, gets hacked and rm -rf'd,
is stolen, burns in a fire, and so forth.

> And no, running a mail server does not "consume a significant amount of
> resources". Any 10-year-old laptop can easily cater for a small
> business.

I meant human resources, obviously.

> Besides, paying $6/user/month is actually very expensive for some small
> organisations. If you have 20 volunteers coming to the help in a small
> public library once a month, that would be $1440 a year just for e-mail
> services.

I'll say it again: Google is _free_ for nonprofits.  Free: $0/user/month,
for as many users as you want.