Looking for a guide to collect all e-mail from the ISP mail server

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at binect.de
Mon Oct 26 19:53:37 EET 2020

On 26.10.20 17:45, Mihai Badici wrote:
> So I guess it is not trivial to sort again all the mails and
> deliver each one in a mailbox after you mixed all together in a single
> catchall mailbox. Could be done for sure but it is some work to do...

Determining the intended recipient of a specific *copy* of an e-mail
(info contained in the envelope) from that copy *after* "final" delivery
(at the ISP, no more envelope, info *possibly* contained in pseudo
headers of varying name and reliability) is *most definitely*
nontrivial, and (used to be?) known as a prime cause of mail loops.

If you don't know *exactly* what you're doing, maintain your myriad of
users/mailboxes *both* at the ISP and on your internal servers and put
the "mails in ISP mailbox X *all* go into internal mailbox Y, and
nowhere else!" relations "hardcoded" into your retrieval tool's config.

Regards,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur