Looking for a guide to collect all e-mail from the ISP mail server

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Tue Oct 27 19:54:19 EET 2020

>>>>> "lists" == lists  <lists at lazygranch.com> writes:

lists> Ditto this. I pay for a VPS because I don't want my home facing
lists> the internet. If the VPS gets hacked, that is as far as they
lists> get.

Same here, I do this as well.

lists> You could do a mail server on a $5 Digital Ocean or Linode VPS
lists> if you don't run SpamAssassin.  Rather than have your email
lists> server on a 10 year old laptop, you let someone else maintain
lists> the hardware. You can and should image your VPS or pay for
lists> imaging. I do both.

Linode is better, if only because charter.net is blocking all of
Digital Ocean's netblocks for email.  Sigh...

lists> My pipe to the outside world is around 800mbps. I couldn't do
lists> that at home. I don't have to worry about leaving a computer
lists> running while on vacation.

Same here!

lists> Should the OP want to join the real world, here again in the
lists> guide I use. I like this person's approach because you can test
lists> each step. The maintenance is gui free. From start to finish
lists> figure on three hours. That includes setting up the VPS, spf,
lists> and DKIM. I strongly encourage Centos. I don't use it at home,
lists> but it is great for a server. It is a long term disty.

This nice thing about a VPS is that it's got redundant power,
networking, cooling, etc.  I pay $5/mon and another $6/qtr for my
domain DNS hosting.  Trivial costs for my own domain.

Dovecot, postfix, spamassasin, etc.  If you need more anti-spam, then
you'll need to spend $10/mon for a bigger memory VM in my expierence.

John