Indexer error after upgrade to 2.3.11.3 [trial patch]

John Fawcett john at voipsupport.it
Sat Oct 31 16:55:21 EET 2020

On 31/10/2020 15:15, Scott Q. wrote:
> But do you know how this bug was introduced ?
>
> I checked the history of that file and don't see anything introduced
> recently that might cause
> this: https://github.com/dovecot/core/commits/master/src/lib-http/http-client-request.c
> <https://github.com/dovecot/core/commits/master/src/lib-http/http-client-request.c>
>
> The only one that might be somewhat related is this one from Apr 27 by
> Stephan Bosch
>
> https://github.com/dovecot/core/commit/799b52accf71e86756dde738d22c1c6a500a7e29#diff-1c02b3481573ffd33c9abccd3f5a6752a5cd81ca83389f4380657f7309c06366
> <https://github.com/dovecot/core/commit/799b52accf71e86756dde738d22c1c6a500a7e29#diff-1c02b3481573ffd33c9abccd3f5a6752a5cd81ca83389f4380657f7309c06366>

I don't know exactly. I'm guess it's not the above commit, since the
problem is happening only when payload_finished is TRUE on arriving at
the start of the http_client_request_send_more function and those lines
set it to FALSE. Though I can't exclude it that it might be an indirect
effect of this.

There are two places where http_client_request_send_more is called but
the problematic call is the one that occurs in http-client-connection.c
within the http_client_connection_continue_request function.

I wasn't able to identify a specific commit that introduced this
problem. The http-client-connection.c file and the whole library has
undergone numerous non trivial commits between 2.3.10 and 2.3.11.3 so
the answer is not easy to identify by code inspectiion. With the various
changes, the code now gets to http_client_request_send_more with
payload_finished true but with payload_input NULL whereas in 2.3.10
payload_input was not NULL. (It's a logical deduction from the fact we
didn't see the assert failures before and that part of the code has not
changed).

John