lmtp multiple mailboxes

Piotr Auksztulewicz dcml at hasiok.net
Sun Sep 20 01:19:47 EEST 2020

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 11:41:40PM +0300, Janis wrote:
> What would be the best way to implement "deliver mail to multiple maildirs"
> through LMTP in Dovecot? Like in Postfix virtual_maps.

If you want to deliver to multiple dovecot accounts, it's easier on MTA
side, making a multiple-destination alias, so your MTA will perform
multiple LMTP transactions.

On the other hand, if you want to deliver multiple copies to a single
dovecot account, but into several different folders, it can be done easily
using a sieve script like this:

fileinto :copy "somefolder"
fileinto :copy "anotherfolder"
# etc.

it will leave the message in INBOX (implicit keep) if you use :copy
or you can prevent it by omitting :copy in the last one. You can also
put sone conditional around, so only specific emails get copied or
set some flags while doing it, etc. I use it all the time, e.g. mails
from this list get copied to my archive marked as read while being
left in inbox for me to browse and just delete, so I don't have to
move them to archive manually.

Piotr "Malgond" Auksztulewicz                     firstname at lastname.net