Search seems slow with apache solr

Christian Kivalo ml+dovecot at valo.at
Sun Apr 4 23:07:29 EEST 2021

On 2021-04-04 18:24, Steve Dondley wrote:
> I'm experimenting with Apache Solr and Dovecot. As far as I can tell,
> I have dovecot working with Apache Solr as demonstrated by this
> output:
>
> a search text "cash"
> * SEARCH 4 8 26 35 45 52 54 55 63
> a OK Search completed (0.356 + 0.001 + 0.068 secs).
>
> However, when using the roundcube search bar and search all messages
> on a single word, it takes about 18 seconds. This seems slow as I only
> have about 4300 message in all my folders. But I'm not sure as I have
> nothing to compare it to.
This does seem slow.
I just searched for a single word on a folder with ~52000 mails and it
took about 4 seconds including the time to display the resulting list of
~600 mails in roundcube.

Searching directly via imap is way faster:
b OK Search completed (0.149 + 0.000 + 0.120 secs).

Not much i can help besides it should be faster i think.

Does you server have enough ram?

Whats your dovecot configuration? You can get that with doveconf -n

> Is there a way I can test whether roundcube is using solr to perform
> searches?
Roundcube uses the imap search provided by dovecot so if dovecot is
using solr, roundcube does too.

You could tcpdump the connection between dovecot and solr while
searching in roundcube, this would tell you if dovecot really searches
with solr.
--
  Christian Kivalo