systemd timeout on startup after upgrade

Felix Zielcke fzielcke at z-51.de
Sun Apr 18 09:22:26 EEST 2021

Am Sonntag, dem 18.04.2021 um 08:17 +0200 schrieb Jean-Daniel:
> systemd don’t need pid files, and the executable must be started
> without forking.
>

> Can you show us the content fo the system dovecot.service file. As
> long as it contains this line, it should be fine:
>
> Type=simple
> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dovecot -F

Just before I saw your mail, I found now a solution.

The original dovecot.service has this:

[Service]
Type=notify
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dovecot -F

which according to systemd.service man page needs a sd_notify() call
from the running process. So somehow this is broken now?

I changed it to the following and now it works:

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dovecot

I don't know that much about systemd what of forking/exec/simple would
be the best one.