systemd timeout on startup after upgrade

Jean-Daniel jddupas at xooloo.com
Sun Apr 18 09:36:31 EEST 2021

> Le 18 avr. 2021 à 08:22, Felix Zielcke <fzielcke at z-51.de> a écrit :
>
> Am Sonntag, dem 18.04.2021 um 08:17 +0200 schrieb Jean-Daniel:
>> systemd don’t need pid files, and the executable must be started
>> without forking.
>>

>> Can you show us the content fo the system dovecot.service file. As
>> long as it contains this line, it should be fine:
>>
>> Type=simple
>> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dovecot -F
>
> Just before I saw your mail, I found now a solution.
>
> The original dovecot.service has this:
>
> [Service]
> Type=notify
> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dovecot -F
>
> which according to systemd.service man page needs a sd_notify() call
> from the running process. So somehow this is broken now?
>
> I changed it to the following and now it works:
>
> [Service]
> Type=forking
> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dovecot
>

> I don't know that much about systemd what of forking/exec/simple would
> be the best one.

The forking type exists mainly for compatibility with executables that are not able to start without forking.

When an executable as a « foreground » mode, it is usually recommended to use it instead.

The snippet I posted come from the official dovecot ubuntu distribution (from https://repo.dovecot.org <https://repo.dovecot.org/>) (that’s the one I’m using).