What imap ssl/auth settings work best with MS Outlook?

Greg Rivers gcr+dovecot at tharned.org
Wed Apr 28 22:30:04 EEST 2021

On Wednesday, 28 April 2021 13:49:03 CDT Steve Dondley wrote:
> I repeatedly have a hell of a time getting clients' Outlook software
> working well with Dovecot. It's hard for me to test myself since I don't
> have Outlook and it would be impossible to keep up with all the
> different versions anyway.
>
> [snip]
>
> It always seems to be hit or miss with outlook as to which encryption
> setting to use, which port to try, etc. With a recent client, I couldn't
> get them successfully logged in no matter what manual settings we tried.
> If someone can give me some tips on how to get most versions of Outlook
> cooperating well with Dovecot, I'd appreciate it.

Your best bet to make Outlook behave better as an IMAP client is to configure a mail "profile" via
Control Pannel --> User Accounts --> Mail, and set all the particulars there. Recent versions of Outlook have a stripped down configuration interface that offers no flexibility. For example, from Outlook itself it's not possible to set an IMAP login name that's not an email address.

--
Greg