What imap ssl/auth settings work best with MS Outlook?

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Apr 29 14:57:28 EEST 2021

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 05:22:45 -0400, Steve Dondley stated:
>On 2021-04-29 01:45 AM, @lbutlr wrote:
>> On 28 Apr 2021, at 12:49, Steve Dondley <s at dondley.com> wrote:
>>> I repeatedly have a hell of a time getting clients' Outlook
>>> software working well with Dovecot. It's hard for me to test myself
>>> since I don't have Outlook and it would be impossible to keep up
>>> with all the different versions anyway.
>>
>> How old is the version of Outlook they are using? Office 2010 is a
>> disaster, and if I recall correctly 2014 has many issues as well.
>
>I'm not sure. It's fairly recent though.
>
>Some more nuttiness: I bit the bullet and downloaded a trial version
>of MS 365 and downloaded the Outlook desktop. On my mac, at least,
>there are two different interfaces/version of Outlook: the "old"
>Outlook and a "new," more minimalist version. You can switch between
>the versions easily.
>
>On the "old" outlook, I was able to get things set up without issue.
>But with the "new" outlook, I couldn't send email or set up a new
>account.
>
>It turns out I had to enable the smtp_tls_wrappermode setting to get
>it working with the "new" Outlook. See
>http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_tls_wrappermode
>
>I thought the wrapper setting was just for the long dead Outlook
>Express mail client. But now I'm wondering if I need this setting for
>some versions of Outlook.
>

>> Even so, it's terrible software that is designed to 'encourage' users
>> to use Exchange Servers for mail instead of real email servers.
>
>I'm not conspiracy theorist, but I can't help but come to the same
>conclusion.
>
>I am totally unfamiliar with Exchange servers. What do they offer,
>exactly, that dovecot/postfix does not (besides a revenue stream for
>MS)?

I am using Outlook without any problems what so ever.

It sounds to me like you are setting up Outlook to use port 465. In the
setup screen, set the port to either "25" or "587". I am using "587"
with "starttls" Your "incoming mail port" will depend on how you have
Dovecot configured. I use port "143" with "starttls" for Outlook. YMMV
depending on your configuration.

You might want to consider posting the output of "doveconf -a" and how
you have Outlook configured.

--
Jerry