What imap ssl/auth settings work best with MS Outlook?

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Apr 29 18:48:32 EEST 2021

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 09:51:13 -0400, Steve Dondley stated:
>On 2021-04-29 09:40 AM, Steve Dondley wrote:
>>> I am using Outlook without any problems what so ever.
>>>
>>> It sounds to me like you are setting up Outlook to use port 465. In
>>> the
>>> setup screen, set the port to either "25" or "587". I am using "587"
>>> with "starttls" Your "incoming mail port" will depend on how you
>>> have Dovecot configured. I use port "143" with "starttls" for
>>> Outlook. YMMV depending on your configuration.
>>>
>>> You might want to consider posting the output of "doveconf -a" and
>>> how you have Outlook configured.
>>
>> To get things working with the client I had to set
>> "disable_plaintext_auth = no" and have them use port 143. Obviously,
>> this is not ideal. I could not get 993 working at all with the
>> client's version of outlook. However, on MS 365, outlook works just
>> fine.
>>
>> It's insane.
>
>OK, I had changed "ssl = yes" to "ssl = required" so having
>"disable_plaintext_auth" is not such a big deal.
>
>But I would still love to know why port 993 wasn't working at all for
>this client.

Posting the exact error message(s) would be helpful. Any logs would
also be appreciated. I believe Outlook could be started in "debug"
mode. Check this URL out:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dev/add-ins/testing/attach-debugger-from-task-pane

Good Luck

--