Requested CRAM-MD5 scheme, but we have only CRYPT

Christian Mack christian.mack at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Dec 2 09:11:45 UTC 2021

Hello

auth_mechanisms are only for encrypting passwords while authenticating.
They have nothing to do with transport encryption aka TLS and STARTTLS.

You only can use CRAM-MD5 when your authentication source provides plain
passwords.
As you use password hashes in your authentication source, you have to
disable it.
Else a client will try to send you the CRAM-MD encrypted password, which
you can not check for validity.

Hope this clears it a bit.

Kind regards,
Christian Mack