No source packages in APT repo?

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Fri Dec 3 21:45:26 UTC 2021

On 12/3/21 1:28 PM, Aki Tuomi wrote:
> Is there a particular reason you need to build source packages?

There are sometimes moments when I want to test out a code change in a
program I'm running on a server.  If a source package is available, I
can make the change and build a new package that includes all of the
Ubuntu customizations for that program plus the change I am testing.  To
test, I just manually install the package.  To revert, I reinstall the
original package with apt.  Without a source package, testing might
require complex steps with the upstream source and customization
information that I may not have access to.

Thanks,
Shawn