Mailbox connection fails: Connection closed (No commands sent) Help please

postfix at aecperformance.com postfix at aecperformance.com
Wed Dec 8 23:51:58 UTC 2021

I could really use some help here please.

VPS Ubuntu 20.04 postfix 3.4.13 and dovecot 2.3.7.2

I have an email address: smoker1 at sizzelicks.com <mailto:smoker1 at sizzelicks.com>  on the VPS.

When I try to log into the smoker1 at sizzelicks.com <mailto:smoker1 at sizzelicks.com>  mailbox from Thunderbird I see that it's connected but then get a message saying the server disconnected saying:

"The server may have gone down or there may have been an network problem"

When I look at syslog on the VPS I see this:

Dec  8 23:03:34 softlinksys dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<smoker1 at sizzelicks.com>,

Dec  8 23:03:34 softlinksys dovecot: imap(smoker1 at sizzelicks.com)<4981><pvGof6rShPRDCAOq>: Connection closed (No commands sent)

When a spammer tried to log in (s.petersqwe at softlinksys.com <mailto:s.petersqwe at softlinksys.com>  not our email address) the log shows this:

Dec  8 23:16:51 softlinksys dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 4 secs): user=<s.petersqwe at softlinksys.com <mailto:s.petersqwe at softlinksys.com> >

So I see the difference: imap-login: Login: user=<smoker1 at sizzelicks.com <mailto:smoker1 at sizzelicks.com> > and : imap-login: Disconnected (auth failed ...

Clearly, I'm successfully logging into the mailbox - yes?

BUT - immediately afterward the server disconnects with 'No commands sent'.

It looks to me like dovecot expects 'commands' that Thunderbird isn't sending. Is this correct?

Thunderbird queries for messages (or it's supposed to). The response & log is the same if I click ‘Get Messages’.

Also, I’ve sent numerous messages to smoker1 at sizzelicks.com <mailto:smoker1 at sizzelicks.com> . They do not bounce and I don’t get an email saying it couldn’t be delivered.

However, nothing is added to the logs from postfix about it.

Why is dovecot disconnecting?
How can I fix this problem?