modernizing dovecot.conf

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Thu Dec 30 09:47:25 UTC 2021

On 12/30/21 10:34, Laura Steynes wrote:
> Do I read it right that where we have things like
> service imap {
>         process_limit = 1024
>         executable = imap imap-postlogin
>
> are not needed now ?
> and process limit is a global option?
>
> things like  pop3/imap_client_workarounds = fooy
> are now global options, not to be in protocol { }  sections ?

All options are in a sense global. imap_client_workarounds would only affect imap anyway, so the question of putting it the protocol imap {} section or outside is inconsequential.

You would want to put an option in a section when it _would_ affect everything, but you don't want it to. You can also group all imap-only options in a protocol imap {} section if that seems neater to you, and doesn't break anything.

You can override a global option in a service XXX {} or protocol XXX {} section, and the global may be explicitly specified, or the default.