Master user password mismatch

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Mon Feb 1 22:46:21 EET 2021

Top posting.

Following up on this...

I can't recall if I ever used the "doveadm pw -t 'hash-goes-here'" method or not.

But I did get it working.
I was never able to get it to work using the htpasswd utility as suggested in the Wiki.
And as noted, htpasswd was able to "verify" the hash in the file it generated - so I know the hash matches the password I intended.

Prior to Aki suggesting the doveadm method, I'd actually already done so.
I used [IIRC]
doveadm pw -s SHA512-CRYPT
[I note the hash type, specifically, because I only know that this one hash works, so if there's any question later, from someone else struggling, try this specific one.]

After generating the hash, and including it in the file, and restarting/reloading dovecot I can now auth with a master user.

I'd recommend that someone either update the docs/wiki after verifying that htpasswd works and how, or remove it from the wiki and leave the doveadm version only.

-Greg