logging verbosity

Jeff Abrahamson jeff at p27.eu
Fri Feb 5 07:00:01 EET 2021

On 05/02/2021 05:17, Fourhundred Thecat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I get lots of these messages in the log:
>
>   dovecot:  imap-login: Login: user at 1.2.3.4, TLSv1.3 with ..
>   dovecot:  imap(user)<10889><glzsCIi6AMbUGQtL>: Disconnected for
> inactivity ...
>   dovecot:  imap(user)<10887><vzjQB4i6/MXUGQtL>: Logged out ...
>
> when user clicks on folder in Thunderbird, or sometimes even when the
> Thunderbird window is in focus (without clicking anything).
>
> Anyway, how can I suppress these info messages, while keeping the
> important ones, such as auth problems?
>
> I am using Dovecot v2.3.4.1 with 10-logging.conf with default values. I
> see there is this line:
>
>   # Log unsuccessful authentication attempts and the reasons why they
> failed.
>   auth_verbose = yes
>
> I definitely want to keep logging unsuccessful auth, but how can I
> suppress the verbose rest?
>
> and lastly, can these settings be set per-user?
>
> Can I suppress verbose for user 'bob' but keep for others?

grep -v ?

Seriously, whether you view logs in a web application or at the
commandline, having a way to filter them is essential.  And if you have
common filters, being able to to pre-program them is useful.  Once in a
blue moon, it's maybe useful to know something about how a user is
getting on or a problem s/he's having.

--
Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57