logging verbosity

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Fri Feb 5 10:33:02 EET 2021

On 04 Feb 2021, at 23:11, Fourhundred Thecat <400thecat at gmx.ch> wrote:
> > On 2021-02-05 06:00, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
>> On 05/02/2021 05:17, Fourhundred Thecat wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I definitely want to keep logging unsuccessful auth, but how can I
>>> suppress the verbose rest?
>>>
>>> and lastly, can these settings be set per-user?
>>>
>>> Can I suppress verbose for user 'bob' but keep for others?
>>
>> grep -v ?
>>
>> Seriously, whether you view logs in a web application or at the
>> commandline, having a way to filter them is essential.  And if you have
>> common filters, being able to to pre-program them is useful.  Once in a
>> blue moon, it's maybe useful to know something about how a user is
>> getting on or a problem s/he's having.
>
> thank you, but can this not be configured in dovecot?

Maybe a utility like rsyslog which allows filtering specific messages into specific logs? For example, I create a "delivery.log" that lists just the log lines from mail.log for delivered messages:

if $msg contains 'status=sent' then /var/log/delivery.log
if $msg contains 'permit: DATA' then /var/log/delivery.log

And another that creates a log file just for the pop3 logins (I only allow users to use POP3 to fetch mail to their gmail accounts since forwarding to gmail simply does not work reliably, so this log is useful).

--
I get the feeling that some people's idea of heaven is an "I told you
	so" T-shirt - mmalc