debugging file permissions wrong

Laura Steynes laura.steynes72 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 02:35:21 EEST 2021

Hi,

In trying to debug a strange error where client can't login, I enabled all
the usual debug settings, this is all good, it works for imap and pop3
fine, but the problem is when used with dovecot's LDA there is a nasty
issue.

the file created by debug_log_path in this case /var/log/dovecot/debug.log
, this file created as root, again this is fine for nice logging of imap
and pop3, but this causes postfix not to deliver mail, for write permission
denied, LDA runs as vmail, all my sub sections like *_listener also = vmail
  and all my uid/gid settings are also to user/group vmail

obviously you wont main log files to not be owned by vmail for case of
security, so is there a way to set the ownership of the debug file - apart
from the obvious of remembering 40 minutes later when you get alert of high
mailq level to chown the file :)

If there is no way, may the developers take this as a feature request
please.
Thanks
Loz