Question Regarding The 'poolp' Guide On How To Deploy A Mail Server's Last Portion Regarding Dovecot With 'sieve' Scripts

Samuel Banya sbanya at fastmail.com
Fri Jun 18 06:06:05 EEST 2021

Hello everyone,

I've been following the "poolp" guide on how to deploy an email server on OpenBSD:
- https://poolp.org/posts/2019-09-14/setting-up-a-mail-server-with-opensmtpd-dovecot-and-rspamd/

I'm currently at the very end of the guide in which he is using sieve with Dovecot to do some final filtering.

The unfortunate thing is that when I run these two commands in the '/usr/local/lib/dovecot/sieve' directory:
sievec report-ham.sieve
sievec report-spam.sieve

I'm getting the following error:
# sievec report-ham.sieve
report-ham: line 1: error: require command: unknown Sieve capability `vnd.dovecot.pipe'.
report-ham: line 1: error: require command: unknown Sieve capability `imapsieve'.
report-ham: line 15: error: unknown command 'pipe' (only reported once at first occurrence).
report-ham: error: validation failed.
sievec(root): Fatal: failed to compile sieve script 'report-ham.sieve'
# sievec report-spam.sieve
report-spam: line 1: error: require command: unknown Sieve capability `vnd.dovecot.pipe'.
report-spam: line 1: error: require command: unknown Sieve capability `imapsieve'.
report-spam: line 7: error: unknown command 'pipe' (only reported once at first occurrence).
report-spam: error: validation failed.
sievec(root): Fatal: failed to compile sieve script 'report-spam.sieve'

What's interesting is that this same post has the same exact error, and I tried his workaround which did NOT work unfortunately:
- http://dovecot.2317879.n4.nabble.com/sieve-compile-error-td70414.html

This is what was present BEFORE my changes in '
plugin {
  sieve_plugins = sieve_imapsieve sieve_extprograms

  sieve_global_extensions = +vnd.dovecot.pipe +vnd.dovecot.environment

  imapsieve_mailbox1_name = Junk
  imapsieve_mailbox1_causes = COPY APPEND
  imapsieve_mailbox1_before = file:/usr/local/lib/dovecot/sieve/report-spam.sieve

  imapsieve_mailbox2_name = *
  imapsieve_mailbox2_from = Junk
  imapsieve_mailbox2_causes = COPY
  imapsieve_mailbox2_before = file:/usr/local/lib/dovecot/sieve/report-ham.sieve

  imapsieve_mailbox3_name = Inbox
  imapsieve_mailbox3_causes = APPEND
  imapsieve_mailbox3_before = file:/usr/local/lib/dovecot/sieve/report-ham.sieve

  sieve_pipe_bin_dir = /usr/local/lib/dovecot/sieve
}

This is what was present AFTER my changes in '/etc/dovecot/conf.d/90-plugin.conf' (aka I followed this post's workaround
http://dovecot.2317879.n4.nabble.com/sieve-compile-error-td70414.html):
plugin {
  sieve_plugins = sieve_imapsieve sieve_extprograms

  sieve_global_extensions = +vnd.dovecot.environment +vnd.dovecot.debug +vnd.dovecot.pipe

  imapsieve_mailbox1_name = Junk
  imapsieve_mailbox1_causes = COPY APPEND
  imapsieve_mailbox1_before = file:/usr/local/lib/dovecot/sieve/report-spam.sieve

  imapsieve_mailbox2_name = *
  imapsieve_mailbox2_from = Junk
  imapsieve_mailbox2_causes = COPY
  imapsieve_mailbox2_before = file:/usr/local/lib/dovecot/sieve/report-ham.sieve

  imapsieve_mailbox3_name = Inbox
  imapsieve_mailbox3_causes = APPEND
  imapsieve_mailbox3_before = file:/usr/local/lib/dovecot/sieve/report-ham.sieve

  sieve_pipe_bin_dir = /usr/local/lib/dovecot/sieve
}

Any ideas on what I can do?

Please let me know if this is better suited for the OpenSMTPD mailing list instead though.