Dovecot mailing list and DKIM

Kevin N. kevin at notscheduled.eu
Sat Jun 19 17:21:06 EEST 2021

Hello everybody,

Going through my mail logs I noticed that a couple of messages from the
Dovecot mailing list failed DKIM validation.

For example, this one has failed:
https://markmail.org/message/te7tycmpiutw4kia

'opendkim-testkey' shows that the key is OK.

The messages in the example comes from yahoo.com, however other messages
from yahoo.com, ones that are not sent through the mailing list, are
properly validated.
The failure is not specific to yahoo.com since a couple of other
messages from other domains, sent though the mailing list, also failed
DKIM validation.

However, the vast majority of the messages from the list properly pass
DKIM validation.

 From what I have read, mailing lists in general do not play very well
with DKIM or SPF and the Dovecot mailing list also had some issues with
this in the past.

With the Dovecot mailing list, I am a bit curious about why the vast
majority of the messages from the list pass DKIM validation while a
couple of them fail.

Does the Dovecot mailing list software alter the message in a way that
causes the failure? Or is there something else going on?

Any thoughts?

Cheers.