Unable to run dovecot.2.3.15

Richard inbound-dovecot at listmail.innovate.net
Mon Jun 28 04:39:08 EEST 2021

> Date: Monday, June 28, 2021 09:19:07 +0800
> From: Joe Wong <joewong99 at gmail.com>
>
>  I am trying to setup a new server on Centos 7 running 2.3.15, I
> compile the source with ./configure --with-pam , make then make
> install. I have another server using 2.3.8 so I copy my config
> files from there to /usr/local/etc/dovecot. I am using systemctl
> enable dovecot then systemctl start dovecot , however it failed to
> start. There is error found in /var/log/messages:
>
> Jun 28 09:14:37 new-ns1 systemd: Started Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email
> server. Jun 28 09:14:37 new-ns1 dovecot: Error:
> unlink(/usr/var/run/dovecot/login/login) failed: Read-only file
> system (in master-settings.c:739)

Unless "/usr/var/run/..." is on a mounted filesystem, that is mounted
read-only, that "Read-only file system" message is generally an
indication of a failing disk that has gone read-only.

So, check to see if that file system is mounted, and if so, adjust as
necessary. If not a mounted file system, then I'd check the disk, and
start looking for a replacement.