dovecot director and keepalived

Sebastiaan Hoogeveen s.hoogeveen at nederhost.nl
Tue Mar 16 14:39:04 EET 2021

Hi Steven,

On 14/03/2021, 17:53, "dovecot on behalf of Steven Varco" <dovecot-bounces at dovecot.org on behalf of dovecot.org at bbs.varco.ch> wrote:

>  Now I’m hitting the issue with the way director determines his „Self IP“ by trying to
>  bind to all configured director_servers IPs, taking the first one possible.
>
>  However this approach only works, when the sysctl setting is: net.ipv4.ip_nonlocal_bind=0
>  On the other side keepalived needs net.ipv4.ip_nonlocal_bind=1 in order to bind the VIP.

This can be fixed by specifying the IP address of the director in the inet_listener section of the director service, like this:

  service director {
    ### other configuration here ###
    inet_listener {
      address = 172.20.1.4
      port = 9090
    }
  }

The listener address will be used as the 'self IP' of the director. This also means that each director will have a slightly different configuration file, but that should usually not be a problem.

I got this from skimming the source, afaict it is not documented anywhere so I'm not sure if this behavior can always be relied on in future releases (it does seem logical to me though).

Kind regards,

--
Sebastiaan Hoogeveen

NederHost