FW: imapsieve rules not matching at all?

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Sat Mar 20 16:55:34 EET 2021

On 2021-03-20 7:14 a.m., Justina Colmena ~biz wrote:
> Spam versus ham is not the only sort of classification I would want to
> do on large volumes of email -- I might want to have separate folders to
> automatically classify incoming messages into separate categories for,
> say, friends-and-family, legal-related email, specific business
> interests, open-source-software or technical related email, mathematics,
> arts or crafts or literature or hobbies, etc.
>
> This kind of stuff must be easily configurable -- per user -- by
> individual end users who are not experts in editing configuration files.

Many commercial platforms specialize in this, but what you are talking
about requires co-ordination between email clients and the email server
backends, or ONLY in the webmail, as logic can be built on current IMAP
(eg implementing logic on moving messages external to the IMAP server)
but is even better implemented as server side filters during delivery.

However, that discussion goes beyond dovecot, and probably not the right
place to talk about this on this list.

There are many email client technologies focused on what you are discussing.

However, we 'could' use an industry standard for email clients to be
able to pass a 'Mark as Spam/NotSpam' instruction over IMAP.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."